40G/100G Ethernet—A Rapidly Emerging Market
The ongoing growth of enterprise, residential and mobile multimedia services (such as peer-to-peer, IPTV and video-over-Internet) is producing unprecedented levels of traffic, and stressing the bandwidth capabilities of metro and core transport networks.
Consequently, carriers worldwide are actively seeking strategies to efficiently and cost-effectively scale IP packet transmission. Designed to facilitate this transition, 40G/100G Ethernet technologies give carriers the flexibility to phase in the implementation of these higher-speed rates to better align capacity increases with their specific growth and budget strategies.
40G/100G Multiservice Testing Solution for Carrier and NEM Labs
Leveraging over a decade of field-programmable gate array (FPGA) experience, EXFO has integrated Ethernet (IEEE 802.3ba) and OTN (ITU-T G.709) functionalities into the same module: the FTB/IQS-85100G Packet Blazer. With this upgrade, you will be able to efficiently and cost-effectively share equipment in the lab, perform field trials, and carry out early deployments. Purpose-built for applications where thorough testing, portability, true ruggedness and ease of use are required, this module offers powerful layer-1/2/3 Ethernet traffic generation and analysis, as well as RFC 2544 with Smart Loopback testing capabilities to stress and validate network elements and services against demanding corner cases.
The FTB/IQS-85100G Packet Blazer also supports OTU3/OTU4 bit-error-rate testing (BERT) and ODU muxing capabilities for 40G/100G transponder and muxponder qualification in network equipment manufacturer (NEM) labs, and for optical transport network turn-up in the field. In addition, its FPGA-based architecture ensures rapid and seamless incorporation of updates as the standard is ratified and refined, protecting your testing investment without sacrificing timely support of features and functions.
All existing and newly developed testing capabilities are available via an intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) and through software keys for field upgrades. No additional hardware or shipping to manufacturer is required.
Optical Transport Testing
- Supports numerous OTN testing capabilities, enabling breakthrough-level qualification of 40G and 100G transponders and muxponders in network-equipment-manufacturer (NEM) labs.
- Advanced Multichannel OTN tool, which supports single-stage multiplexing from ODU0 to ODU4 with the support of 80 concurrent channels, including channelized service disruption measurement of all channels.
- ODUflex, which provides a future-proof solution to transporting any client signal at any rate.
- Ethernet and SONET/SDH mapping over OTU3/OTU4, enabling NEMs to qualify their 40G/100G transponder development (e.g., mapping and demapping capabilities), as well as client-signal timing transparency.
Ethernet Performance Validation
- EtherSAM, an ITU-T Y.1564 Ethernet service activation methodology that comprises a service configuration test and service performance test for comprehensive field testing of mobile backhaul and commercial services, as well as QoS validation for better troubleshooting.
- iSAM, an intelligent service activation methodology providing simplified ITU-T Y.1564 and RFC 6349 testing.
- RFC 6349 for validation of end-to-end TCP service, helping to correctly locate and diagnose issues as they arise.
- Dual Test Set mode provides an accurate test scenario whereby it is possible to use RFC 2544, RFC 6349 or Y.1564 (EtherSAM) for service activation. With this approach, two 40G/100G test sets (one designated as local and the other as remote) can be used to communicate and independently run tests in each direction.
- Ethernet traffic generation and monitoring to simultaneously simulate and qualify different applications.
- 40G SONET/SDH BER testing via advanced 40G OC-768/STM-256 BERT functionality over serial CFP, with full flexibility for generation and monitoring of 40G SONET/SDH alarms, errors and overhead bytes at all layers.
- CFP Health Check for 100G CFP/CFP2 transceiver monitoring to avoid damage to expensive 100G circuits and equipment.
- Signal-conditioning tool for characterization of the electrical CAUI/XLAUI and physical lanes, as well as troubleshooting of electrical-level issues on standard optical interfaces used within 40G/100G systems.
- 100G testing capabilities for next-generation CFP2 transceivers thanks to the new FTB-85970 CFP-to-CFP2 adapter that requires no additional high-speed modules