Director of Operations
Quebec City, Qc
Reporting to the VP of Manufacturing Operations in Canada, the Director of Operations ensures that the entire Quebec operations works efficiently, meet budgeted gross margin and deliver global customer orders according to quarterly set targets. Based on corporate objectives and strategies, he establishes yearly budget and sets objectives for the Quebec operations and teams. He maintains regular communications with many departments submits accurate and timely reports and implements proper internal control systems.
He coaches and directs a team of department managers including production, planning, logistic & customs, continuous improvement, shipping and integration in a process orientated environment compliant with TL-9000 and ISO-14001 standards. In collaboration with the Human Capital department, manage and negotiate the collective bargaining agreement.
- Establishes yearly key operations objectives and budget. Deploys action plans, tracks and reports progress monthly.
- Responsible for driving the team to accomplish the business unit goals and initiatives. Works closely with other corporate department leaders to optimize results.
- Regularly appraises / coaches / disciplines to improve the skill, motivation, knowledge and attitude of employees as it relates to job performance and their impact on the organization.
- Drives the implementation of Lean/Demand Flow/JIT methods as required to reduce product cost, improve quality, reduce working capital, improve cash flow and achieve a superior manufacturing environment.
- Develop and implement performance metrics to collect and analyze various data and statistics for the business processes under his responsibility.
- Pro-actively analyzes operations metrics, making and driving process improvements within manufacturing, supply chain, and material sourcing. Determines business impact from the operations metrics and makes changes where needed.
- Knowledge of business and manufacturing processes of high–tech companies in the fields of electronics, optics or mechanics.
- Excellent knowledge of manufacturing operations programs and trends (value-added tools: 5S, Kanban, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, ISO, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge in purchasing and inventory management.
Required Skills and Aptitudes
- Communication skills (oral and written), tact and sense of collaboration;
- Ability to engage and influence people;
- Sense of responsibility and autonomy;
- Strong ability to plan, organize and prioritize;
- Strong analytical skills and problem solving;
- Ability to synthesize information and communicate complex information with clarity;
- Clients, action and results oriented;
- Ability to manage priorities;
- Good stress management skills, ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines;
- Strategic vision, creativity and innovative;
- Good negotiator.
Academic and Professional Requirements
Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering or in business administration, commerce or other related field.
Pertinent experience: At least 15 years’ global experience and 5 years’ experience in similar management positions within a high-tech manufacturing company, ideally specializing in electronics, optics or instrumentation.
Language requirements: English and French (written and spoken)
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from women, visible minorities and Aboriginal people.